03 September 2012

Do you dare to dream? Layne Beachley Aim for the Stars grant applications are open now!


Earlier this year I was a lucky recipient of the Layne Beachley Aim for the Stars Foundation grant. World champion Australian surfer Layne Beachley set up this foundation to give girls and women a kick start in, well, aiming for the stars. Lane says:

"This Foundation is all about empowering and enabling individuals to take control of their lives, to invest in their future and fulfil their potential. We support girls and women with initiative and passion, that are committed to achieving a dream and courageous enough to ask for help along the way."
href="http://www.aimforthestars.com.au/who">
Next week something very exciting is happening!

I am being flown to Sydney to attend the Layne Beachley Aim for the Stars training days and gala ball! Finally I will meet Layne and Megan, and thank them for the wonderful opportunity and support they have given me. I'll also get to meet the other grant recipients - sportswomen including Olympians, youth workers, scientists, designers, actors and students, just to name a few pursuits.

Over the two days, we will receive life coaching, media training and a surfing lesson! We will also visit Government House and be guests of honour at the gala ball. Outfits in their planning stages. I am very excited! (And on the Saturday I'll be shopping and branching with my dear friend Sydney Shop Girl and her baby bump!)

I can't wait to tell you about my trip!

The grant has helped me get to England to speak at the Appearance Matters conference. I've already received a life coaching session and set goals, and had some media opportunities. The Aim for the Stars team are exteemely encouraging of all the grant recipients - promoting our achievements on their Twitter and Facebook pages. They regularly promote my blog entries, and I love to see what the other recipients are doing through updates.

If you are an Australian female with big dreams - not just sport - and need a kick start, I strongly encourage you to apply for the Layne Beachley Aim for the Stars grant. The Foundation is now accepting applications. There are a few parts to the application package (like a job application) but it is definitely worth applying. When I applied last year, I put my application together with the same branding as on my website - purple and grey with the picture banner - and have been able to use the resume created especially for the grant again. During the application process I was not afraid to contact the foundation to ask questions about the process and the grant. And then, in January this year, I received the memorable call from Layne!

Maybe you want to create a writer's retreat? Or a set up a support group? Study abroad? Or write a book? Or begin training for the 2016 Olympics? I know a few people with big dreams and I hope you apply. Whatever your dream, this grant can help you financially and professionally.

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to apply. And if you have a friend or relative who you think could benefit from the grant, please forward them the application details.

Thanks Layne and Megan and the AFTS team - see you next week!

(Pictures sourced from the Aim for the Stars website.)

PS: you can see what I am up to when I am not blogging on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram (I take a lot of pictures of food!).


3 comments:

  1. Amazing grant and opportunity for you Carly xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aim for the stars attracts some description and I had to think of the best words to put in and felt the pink of perfection would be one of them and what to say of leaning by a post and thinking happy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly and her mother Jeanette are amazing. I enjoyed meeting you in Sydney and hope we keep in contact. You are truly an inspiration Carly and apples don't fall far from the tree Jeanette. I really enjoyed meeting you and maybe one day young Emma will visit you in Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails